Whistler and weather

As I said in my previous blog I have been in Whistler so here is a bit of info on the place before I tell you what I have been up to…

Whistler Village is located at the base of the Two Peaks, Whistler and Blackcomb. The village is actually relatively new having been proposed as part of the 1968 Winter Olympic bids. Although the bid was lost the development went ahead and opened in 1966. To start with the two mountains were operated separately, this led to a lot of competition and improvements and upgrades unknown anywhere else. The competition between the two mountains led to the area being named as the top ski resort for many year. Eventually the two companies merged in 2003.


Icy water on Alta Lake, Whistler

Whistler Blackcomb was the centrepiece of a renewed bid on the part of nearby Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics, which they won in July 2003. Whistler Blackcomb hosted the Alpine Skiing events.

As you would imagine the town is heavily focused on the outdoors industry with skiing during the winter and mountain biking in the summer being catered for by a host of shops, hotels and restaurants in the chilled and pleasant town, I actually prefer the resort to the European resorts I have been to, but I was here only at the very tail end of the season



Whistler (17/04/2017)

Today I got back out in the snow and got some skiing in. This is only about the third time I have actually skied and last time (in Jan) I ended the first day with a cracked rib and concussion so I was slightly worried when on the lifts up to the slopes but I only planned to keep to the easy “green” runs. Its was a cloudy day and as I got to the top of the lifts it was rather misty. I spent about 4hrs getting more confident and improving whilst the cloud got thicker and thicker till eventually I could barely see where I was going so decided it was time to head down and get some food.


I spent the evening with Alex and Jack again and one of there house mates cooked an amazing vegi Tai curry (thanks again!)

Whistler (18/04/2017)

The much promised thunder storm hasn’t appeared but today was a full rest day of pottering round town, eating pizza, sitting in the sauna and Jacuzzi. nothing really to report but I am looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow and heading to Lillooet approximately 130km north-east.

Whistler to Lillooet (18/04/2017)

I had an early start today as it was planned to be a long hard one, the day started with waffles and maple syrup (hmmmmm….. 🙂 ) then it was onto the bike, I may have got slightly misplaced getting out of Whistler as I was aiming to go to the Lost Lake, but the paths were still too icy on the bike. The first section of the ride to Pemberton was relatively easy with a few ups and downs but nothing to right home about. I had a bit of a stop at Nairn Waterfalls to rest and have a nosey.

 Nairn Waterfalls
Next it was on to Pemberton where I stopped for a spot of lunch knowing that the next section had some pretty tough up hills and was quite rural (next town was approximately 100km and would be my destination for the day.) Just after this I entered into First Nation territory, this meant that the amount of dwelling plummeted and distances between them slowly increased until I passed the last property and headed along the long flat road with the mountains in the distance, since I started I knew that any time I hit flat lands I would have to make the most of it and push the speed a touch, so I upped the pace slightly to approximately 14mph and enjoyed the views of Lillooet and Birken Head Rivers.  Then the fun began…

Fun on the road.

The next 3 hours, yes I did say 3, was all up hill. I started ok, dropping to my lowest gear (I have named this gear Granny (don’t ask!)) and just tried to spin my way up, unfortunately by the end of the first switchback I was already in need of a break so I had one… by the end of the second I was panting like you wouldn’t believe and stopped just past the first of the broken down lorries of the day. A couple more switchbacks and my legs started cramping, this hill was a b£$%h and I was probably only half way up! It was time for me start walking, I might not be bike fit but my legs are used to walking up hills for hours at a time, so plod up pushing my 32kg worth of bike and equipment.

At times I tried to cycle for sections but the gradient was too much for me, even with the support and cheering from drivers going in the opposite direction! To be honest I can’t tell you much about the accent as I was just digging in and plodding up. So after 3 hours I had done 1000m of accent, some of which was 18% hill I was done and I knew I was only about half way and had another hill left!

The next 20km I used the down hill to try and recover, I was in the snowline now and taking on a lot of water and some of my snack. as I was descending I am sure I heard bear calls in the woods, but surely its still too cold up here? But the singing started to warn them that I was around (or scare them off!) After the 20km I came to Duffy Lake, an 8km high mountain lake that was completely and utterly frozen over , I had a quick stop at the far end to take on a Clif Bar, one of my snacks for the day, and to take a picture. I was down to my last bottle of isotonic too and it was helping my legs to get over the cramps but I was still weak, the hill had really taken it out of me!


Ice cold! Duffy Lake

The next 30km was mainly down hill so I used the momentum of the downs to get me up the short up hills. I gradually dropped out of the snowline and saw my first bits of wild life, first of were a few Mule deer that surprised me when they scrambled up a steep back that I hadn’t been paying attention to (lesson learned!) Next I had a call from a car coming the opposite way warning of a bear cub up ahead, unfortunately my gopro was dead otherwise I would have turned it on! It was at the edge on of the other side of the carriageway and from what I could tell was a very young grisly cub, mum was nowhere in site and I was singing again to let them know I was no threat but the poor thing looked scared of me (or my out of tune singing!)  This is the first time I have seen a wild bear and it was a cutie! Thankfully I didn’t meet mum!

After this I was into Gott Creak area and my god this place was stunning, huge monoliths of rock on all sides that dwarf anything I have seen before! For miles these huge mountains flanked me making me feel small as a hurtled through at 30mph, doesn’t sound much but on a 32kg bike that’s quite a lot! One final climb followed that I did my best to cycle up and I nearly managed it… but walk some more it was! The last section consisted of downward switchbacks of 13%, and I was most glad I had gone for disk breaks.

I was at Lillooet, the outskirts was dominated by a logging area and damn and the town itself is definitely a working town rather than a tourist destination, I swear I heard duelling banjo’s as I entered! Everything in town was closed by 20:30, having got into town at 19:30 and needing to check in this meant that my only food choice was whatever I could get at the petrol station. But by this point I didn’t care, I grabbed anything edible, headed to the hotel and about 20mins later was asleep.

I will stay here for a day as my legs are shot.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s